About me

My photo
I'm a mummy to two little girls, Little P (May 2012) and Little N (June 2014), living in the Vale of Glamorgan. We also share a home with with my partner, who in a traditional manner shall henceforth be known as 'Daddy'. This is a lifestyle blog/diary of my parenting experiences. Follow me @whatmummydid_

Monday 1 June 2015

I Burnt the Baby...

Oh my goodness... Nobody could make me feel any worse than I do about this. I am the person whose baby got sunburn.

On Saturday a friend and I took Little P and Little N for a picnic at nearby Cosmeston lakes. It felt like lovely picnic weather. The sun was out but there was a nice breeze (damn that bloody breeze!) and we set up camp on a picnic table. Little N stayed in her pushchair while Little P tore through the bag of birthday presents brought for her by our friend.

I remember commenting that I had forgotten to return my suncream to my nappy bag after Little N had unpacked it the other day (so if we're looking to blame anyone here, she sealed her own fate!) She remained in her pushchair with the hood up while we chatted and ate and she wasn't really in the sun at this point.

Once we'd eaten we moved to the playground so Little P could have a play (and we could have a bit of peace, truth be told). Our friend had brought a picnic blanket so I got Little N out to have a play with us. The air was cool enough that we all kept our cardigans on and that's a rarity for Little P who drops layers at every opportunity. An hour or so must have gone by before we decided to get an ice cream and head home.

It wasn't until a couple of hours later I noticed Little N's cheeks were very rosy and she was quite irritable. I didn't even think it was sunburn to begin with as it hadn't been that warm. It then dawned on me as the temperature of my own face rose... (Then the back of my neck, my chest and a little patch of leg). Somehow Little P managed to escape any damage, probably due to the shade offered by the pirate ship).

I was so upset! I am the last person I expected this to happen to. I'm usually so careful as I have quite pale skin myself and no interest in tanning. They (and I) are usually slathered in factor 50 and I regularly reapply (my health visitor even told me off for overdoing it when Little P was a baby). I made the mistake of seeking the advice of Dr Google only to be met with horrific images and a fresh wave of guilt (advice - do not Google sunburnt baby).

Luckily, by the morning, her skin looked back to its usual colour and her temperament was as it always has been (worried and uneasy, in case you're wondering). I wasn't so lucky and am still looking a bit pink.

I'm now left facing the decision of whether to keep them indoors for the rest of their lives, lest I forget the suncream again or to buy them some kind of all-in-one beekeeper protective outfit. I certainly won't let my guard down again and allow that gentle breeze to lull me into a false sense of coolness while the scorching sun silently attacks me and my babies!










The Twinkle Diaries

13 comments:

  1. Oh bless you. Its so difficult to judge in this country isn't it? Pesky weather! Glad she's fine now though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know, I couldn't believe it, poor lamb

      Delete
  2. It's that breeze god dammit!! And this is coming from a woman who once fell asleep on the top deck of a cruise ship on a windy day, woke up with third degree burns and spent the rest of my holiday on crutches

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so easy to get burned and so hard to tell when sunscreen is needed - especially this time of year. I'm glad she was fine the next day, it wasn't much fo a burn then, don't beat yourself up. :) #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwenn has never burned, but she once got quite close I think when we were sitting outside a cafe last Summer. I caught it in time but it's so easy; I wouldn't beat yourself up! Gwenn doesn't get on with sunscreen very well so I usually just have her totally covered anyway, and I've found that's helped on the days when the sun is stronger than you think it is. x

    #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also let my son got burned. We didnt really got out that day but inside the car he is expose to the sun. I feel so guilty and I promise to be better with suncream next time. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh bless you, I hate Mummy guilt! I burnt myself not so long ago and I was out in the breeze for only an hour or two and I was so sore! Can happen to anyone Hun, don't beat yourself up :) #twinklytuesday -- Romany

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happened to me last weekend. We've had such crap weather I just kind of forgot that sunburn was a thing that could happen. We were at a friend's birthday party out in the garden for a couple of hours and when we got home both my girls had pink arms and Saly cried when she got in the bath. I feel awful about it. If you source one of the beekeeper suits please let me know and I'll take two. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it makes you feel better. my daughter got a sunburnt on her back a couple of years ago. I was so upset about it because I am always so careful to apply suncream and make sure they are wearing hats etc. I'd put sun cream on around her swim costume, but someone managed to miss between her shoulders. Luckily, it wasn't too bad, but I felt like the worst mum ever. I know how upsetting it is, and how guilty you feel, but you are not alone. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaah — this happened to my best when my goddaughter was about 18 months old! She was in the buggy and her legs got burnt — oops — poor little mite! It happens lovely — don't beat yourself up. You'll know for next time!!

    Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday x

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your kind words xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I was really worried I had done this yesterday, exactly the same gentle breeze and picnic at the park. Luckily I hadn't but it's an easy mistake. The sun can take you by surprise. It's interesting because the doctor told me off for over use of sun cream and said children should have 20 mins unprotected in the sun each day and in the UK only factor 15. Which on really warm days makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both my kids have very very brown hands and white faces and brown bits across their feet etc etc. It's impossible to keep them covered in cotton wool. A little bit of Vit D is ok. But i now have factor 50 everywhere, my handbag, changing bag, car, buggy JUST IN CASE. ;) Don't worry too much. we've all done it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete