About me

My photo
I'm a mummy to two little girls, Little P (May 2012) and Little N (June 2014), living in the Vale of Glamorgan. We also share a home with with my partner, who in a traditional manner shall henceforth be known as 'Daddy'. This is a lifestyle blog/diary of my parenting experiences. Follow me @whatmummydid_

Monday 20 April 2015

Mummy, Are you Going to Sort your Face Out?

'Mummy, are you going to sort your face out?' were the charming words that tumbled from Little P's mouth a couple of days ago. My initial reaction was to clutch at my face and demand to know what was wrong with it. She seemed confused that I didn't already know...

Ah, right. It was because she was repeating my own words back to me. I had made the mistake of telling her we would go to the park 'in a little while'. It was during that stage of our day where I've had a shower but was dragging my feet getting us all ready. I struggled for twenty-odd years getting myself ready of a morning (sometimes afternoon) and suddenly my workload has increased threefold. It was around the fourth 'can we go now?' that I told her I needed to sort my face out before we could go anywhere.

I don't think I wear very much make-up but what little I wear makes a big difference. Or at least it does to me. I am not, however, someone who really enjoys make-up. Putting it on is definitely a chore rather than a luxurious routine so I trudged (it really was a trudge) upstairs to get on with it. Little P, hot on my tail (probably there to make sure I did what I was supposed to) followed me into the bathroom and asked if she could have some. I told her that she was far too beautiful (and she really is) for make-up.

It did get me thinking though, about how children view their parents. It wouldn't matter a bit to my littles whether or not I wore make-up (or to Daddy for that matter, but I think that's just lack of interest!) and Little P tells me so often how beautiful I am. I must admit, this is usually as a return gesture. 'I am so lucky to have two beautiful girls' I say - because I really can't help myself. 'And I'm so lucky to have a beautiful mummy'. (Maybe she feels obliged...) I remember how my friends and I all thought the world of our own parents as small children. We saw no flaws and were confident that our own mum/dad was smarter/prettier/taller/more clever/faster *and all other very important qualities* than 'yours', without doubt. It's such a privilege to now be in that position of mum and I think I ought to treat my role with a bit more respect. I thought about challenging myself to a week of no 'because I said sos' but I'm not one to set myself up for a fall!

As we were leaving to go to the park (already outside the house, with neighbours in earshot) Little P looked at me and asked 'what's that on your chin? I think you've got a spot'.





No comments:

Post a Comment